Care Home Sponsor Licence Application Guidance UK

UK visa application guidance
care home sponsor licence

WestBridge Business Immigration work with care homes and help them bringing a carer from overseas through the Health and Care visa . 

UK visa application guidance
care home sponsor licence

Care Home Sponsor Licence Process with Expert Guidance

Getting a care home sponsor licence is essential if your company needs to hire foreign healthcare experts. There could be severe repercussions if your application is rejected or you make a mistake during the application process! Thankfully, our London-based immigration lawyers are experts at handling care home sponsor licence applications and can help you bringing a carer from overseas.

  • You can rely on us to take full responsibility for working on every aspect of your Health and Care Visa application. 
  • We can give you all the necessary guidance at every step. 
  • Our team promises to navigate you through the maze of immigration paperwork. 
  • Most of all, we value honesty and openness in all our dealings with you.

Don’t wait to contact us if your company needs help with care home sponsor licence applications. Call us now to learn how we can help your company acquire the Health and Care Visa it requires.

A Brief Introduction to the Health and Care Worker visa

Professionals in the medical and care fields, such as doctors, nurses, and social/care workers, can obtain a Health and Care worker visa to enter the United Kingdom and work for the National Health Service (NHS), private hospitals, the social care sector, or a related industry. 

Because of a critical lack of employees with the appropriate skills in the UK’s health and care sectors, this visa program was established in August 2020. So foreign nationals with medical and healthcare expertise can obtain this visa and enter the United Kingdom quickly to fill various positions in the NHS, an NHS supplier, or the adult care sector. 

Successful applicants are granted a Health and Care worker visa for up to five years, with the option to extend their stay or apply to settle in the UK after five years. Those who have settled in the UK (called Indefinite Leave to Remain) don’t have to worry about getting another visa if their role changes.

Why Has the Government Introduced the Health and Care Visa?

The UK government launched the Health and Care Visa in August 2020 in response to the rising need for skilled professionals in the health and care industries. This Visa was created to fill a critical gap in the UK’s labour market and guarantee that the National Health Service (NHS) and the social care sectors have sufficient qualified workers to meet the growing service demand.

The demand for healthcare services has increased with the population’s average age. However, the supply of qualified healthcare professionals has not kept pace. 

Another reason for making the Health and Care Visa was to ensure that skilled workers in the health and care sectors would still want to come to the UK. The introduction of the Health and Care worker visa,has shown the UK Government’s commitment to ensuring that foreign health and care workers have the opportunity to work and reside in the country.

What are the Advantages of Applying for a Health and Care visa?

When it comes to working in the United Kingdom, healthcare professionals can take advantage of several perks thanks to the increased flexibility to allow hospitals, NHS trusts and care homes to sponsor individuals from around the world. 

  1. Placed at the Front of the Queue: Healthcare workers applying for the Health and Care worker visa can anticipate a decision within approximately 15 working days. Their applications are placed at the front of queue for processing meaning that their applications will be processed first. 


  1. Lower Application Fees: Medical professionals can save money on the application process while applying for a Health and Care Visa. There is a significant discount on the normal skilled worker visa application fee and they are exempt from paying the Immigration Health Surcharge saving £624 per year.


  1. Possibility of settling in the UK: Healthcare workers can apply for permanent residency on a Health and Care worker visa after five years of working in the UK. Settlement offers excellent safety and stability and allows healthcare professionals to stay in the UK for the long haul.

4. Family members can accompany you: Medical personnel applying for or granted a Health and Care worker visa can bring their families to the UK.

What Is the Eligibility for Obtaining a Health and Care Worker Visa?

To be granted a Health and Care worker visa to work in the health and social care industries in the United Kingdom, applicants must meet several criteria. 

In particular, you need to:

1. Obtain an offer of employment from a UK company recognized by the Home Office, and have a “certificate of sponsorship” detailing the position you’ll be filling in the UK.

2. Be paid the relevant salary for your role.

3. You should be able to communicate in English to the relevant level. Applicants must be able to evidence this by an approved method.

4. Be able to support and maintain yourself during the first month of your leave.

Which Professions Qualify for a Health and Care Worker Visa?

You can only apply for the UK Health and Care worker visa if you have a confirmed offer of employment which has a Standard Occupational Classification Code ((SOC) code) (i.e. a job code) that meets the visa requirements. If you’ve been offered a job but aren’t sure if it meets the requirements, you can verify it by asking your prospective employer for the four-digit SOC code and looking it up on the Home Office’s website.

Individuals with roles fulling under the following SOC codes can apply for a UK Health and Care worker visa (please note that these can change and roles may be removed or added at short notice):

  • 1181: health services and public health managers and directors
  • 1242: residential, day, and domiciliary care managers and proprietors
  • 2112: biological scientists and biochemists
  • 2113: physical scientists
  • 2211: medical practitioners
  • 2212: psychologists
  • 2213: pharmacists
  • 2214: ophthalmic opticians
  • 2215: dental practitioners
  • 2217: medical radiographers
  • 2218: podiatrists
  • 2219: health professionals that are “not elsewhere classified,” such as audiologists and occupational health advisers
  • 2221: physiotherapists
  • 2222: occupational therapists
  • 2223: speech and language therapists
  • 2229: therapy professionals that are “not elsewhere classified,” such as osteopaths and psychotherapists
  • 2231: nurses
  • 2232: midwives
  • 2442: social workers
  • 3111: laboratory technicians
  • 3213: paramedics
  • 3216: dispensing opticians
  • 3217: pharmaceutical technicians
  • 3218: medical and dental technicians
  • 3219: health associate professionals not elsewhere classified
  • 6141: nursing auxiliaries and assistants
  • 6143: dental nurses
  • 6145: care workers and home carers
  • 6146: senior care workers

You must receive the job offer from an organisation that falls within those listed on in the guidance for a Health and Care visa, and include NHS Trusts, private providers of NHS care, Social care or a care home. You must also be working for an organisation that is completing activities which are considered regulated activities.

What Is the Minimum Salary to Be Eligible for a Health and Care Worker Visa?

The answer will largely come down to the type of work you do when determining the base wage. You will need to be paid at least £10.75 per hour, or £26,200 per year,or the ‘going rate’, whichever is higher. Please note that there are a number of exceptions that mean that your salary could be lower, such as holding a shortage occupation role (many roles in the Health and Care sector fall into this category). 

Where you fall into an exception, your salary can be as low as £20,960 per year or between 90-70% of the `going rate`, or £10.75 per hour. 

It is possible to apply for this visa and be sponsored as a caregiver in the UK, even if your salary exceeds the above salary requirements.

What Are the Temporary Visa Provisions for Care Workers?

The UK government made certain temporary modifications to the immigration rules in February 2022. They brought these changes into force to alleviate the pressure put on the adult social care services industry caused by the pandemic and major labour shortages.

As a result of the changes, over the next 12 months, caregiving jobs, including those in private homes, will be included in the list of occupation categories qualifying for the Skilled Worker route. These positions have also been included in the Shortage Occupation List (SOL), which means that applicants may be offered lower pay while still being eligible for a visa.

The amendments were proposed by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC). This independent group provides advice to the Home Office on migration-related matters. The reforms are expected to alleviate some of those constraints in the short term.

Requirements for Submitting an Application for Sponsor License for Your Medical Organisation or Care Home

A Skilled Worker sponsor licence is necessary if your organisation intends to sponsor foreign health and care workers through the Health and Care worker route. All of the following caregiver sponsor visa requirements must be in place before your company may apply:

1. A well-established presence in the UK market.

2. Evidence that you are registered by one of the registered organisations such as the Quality Care Commission.

3. Have an individual inside the UK who can act in key roles such as that of the “Authorising Officer.” This individual will be held accountable for the Sponsor License but may delegate immigration-related tasks to a co-worker.

How to Submit an Application for Sponsor License for Your Medical Organisation or Care Home?

Once you meet the visa requirements, you can apply for a Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence. The steps you need to follow include the following:

1. Submit an application online and pay the relevant fee.

2. Provide the relevant documents to the Home Office within 5 working days.

3. Once the Sponsor Licence is approved, begin to sponsor foreign workers.

4. Undertake your sponsor duties.

How Long Does It Typically Take To Get a Health and Care Worker Visa?

The Home Office places your application at the front of the queue and advices that a decision should be made about three weeks after you submit your application online or attend an appointment (if you are applying outside the UK, and in some circumstances inside the UK).

What Documents Do You Need to Submit for a UK Health and Care Worker Visa?

Documents You Must Provide

There are some documents you must bring regardless of your situation, whereas others will depend on special circumstances. 

Following are some documents that you must get when applying for your visa:

1. Your current passport

2. Your certificate of sponsorship (COS) which confirms that your role meets the requirements for the Health and Care visa.

3. Evidence of your proficiency in English

4. Your Overseas Criminal Record check (if applicable)

5. Evidence of meeting the maintenance requirement

Documents That Depend on Your Situation

Depending on your situation, you might need to bring some additional documents. Sorting through what documents you need can be challenging for anyone to understand. Fortunately, during such situations, Immigration lawyers can advise you on what documents you need to submit. 

Some documents you need that depend on your personal circumstances include:

1. Documentation of your family status if applying with a spouse or children.

2. Test results for tuberculosis if you resident in a country listed in the immigration rules

3. A certificate states that you have no criminal record; you only need this for specific jobs. 

4. Certified English Language translations of any documents not in English or Welsh.

5. Evidence of cohabitation if you are bringing an unmarried partner.

How to Extend Your Health and Care Worker Visa?

Your Health and Care worker visa can be extended, providing that you, your sponsor, your salary and your role still continue to meet the requirements at the time of applying. 

Your spouse or children can have their visas extended, either at the same time as you or at a later date. They must apply before their current visa expires.

How Much Will It Cost to Obtain a Health and Care Worker Visa?

When you apply for a Health and Care Worker visa, you will pay the following fees for your application: 

  • Three years or less: £247 per applicant
  • More than three years: £479 per applicant

Meeting the Maintenance Requirement

You must prove that you can financially sustain yourself in the United Kingdom by having a minimum of £1,270 in your bank. Your funds must be continuously available to you for 28 days at least. Your ban statement confirming the 28th day must be within the last 31 days.  Alternatively, your sponsor can confirm that they will maintain you for the first month of your leave. 

Who Can Apply as Your Dependents?

Your spouse and children can apply as “dependents” to join you in the United Kingdom or to extend their stay. Your family must produce proof of your relationship, i.e. marriage certificates/birth certificates. 

The following individuals can apply:

  • Spouses, civil partners, or unmarried partners.
  • Children, including those born in the UK during your visit, who are under the age of 18.
  • Children that are over the age of 18 and are living in the UK on a dependant visa, who are not living an independent life.

You can check the following section to find out whether your partner and your children are eligible as dependents for your Health and Care Visa:

What Documents Must You Provide for Your Dependents?

Your dependents need to provide the following documents: 

  • Their passports
  • Evidence of their relationship to you
  • Current UK visas
  • Cohabitation documents or children over the age of 16 need to produce evidence that they remain financially and emotionally reliant on you.

How Long Does It Take for Your Dependents to Obtain Visa Approval?

If they apply with you outside of the UK it can take up to 15 working days to receive a decision. If applicants apply with you inside the UK, their application should be placed at the front of the queue along with yours, however, if they apply separately, their application will be processed in accordance with the Home Office’s service standards of eight weeks.

Can You Settle in the UK through the Health and Care Worker Visa?

You may be eligible to settle in the UK after five years inside the UK. This is known as “indefinite leave to remain” (ILR). With ILR, you don’t have to worry about applying for any other types of visas or work permits to continue living in the United Kingdom, or to switch roles or employers. You must meet all the criteria if you want to apply for ILR.

To be eligible for ILR under this visa, you must have been in the UK continuously for five years on this visa. You must also have experience working in a relevant health or social care profession throughout that time. You must also prove you can communicate well in English and pass the Life in the UK test.

You should always ensure you have the most recent information by checking the official UK government website or speaking with an immigration lawyer, before applying for ILR.

What Are the Post-brexit Rules for EEA Healthcare Workers Already Living in the UK?

Medical professionals and their families from an EEA country or Switzerland working in the United Kingdom prior to 11pm (GMT) on 31st  December 2020, and wishing to remain in the country after Brexit must apply under the EU Settlement Programme.

Applicants should have submitted their applications by 30th June 2021, unless they fall into a category of which has an extended deadline.

How Can WestBridge Help You Acquire a Health and Care Worker Visa?

With a number of years experience in the Health and Care visa, WestBridge is the law company to contact. The firm’s staff of immigration attorneys can help you through every step of the visa application procedure, from the initial consultation to the approval letter.

WestBridge’s initial consultation can help you determine if you qualify for a Health and care  visa, a crucial step in the application process. At this meeting, a lawyer will evaluate your situation to see if you meet the visa requirements

You will receive helpful guidance on submitting your application, including what information to include and how to overcome potential obstacles. If you meet the requirements for this visa, WestBridge can help you fill out the paperwork and organise the submission of your form and biometric information. 

The immigration lawyers at the firm will see that your application is comprehensive, correct, and submitted on time. They will also instruct you on finishing the remaining requirements, such as obtaining Home Office approved English language evidence.

WestBridge can assist you with requesting a review of the decision if your application is refused. The firm’s seasoned lawyers will advise you throughout the process to avoid unnecessary delays.

If you are applying for a Health and Care worker visa, WestBridge can offer you thorough support and guidance every step of the way. WestBridge is an excellent option for anyone seeking a Health and Care worker visa in the UK due to its in-depth understanding of UK immigration law and dedication to delivering the best service service.



Q. What Is the English Language Requirement for the Health and Care Worker Visa?

Unless you have previously provided evidence of meeting the English Language requirement in another visa application, you will need to provide evidence of your proficiency in English. The minimum required proficiency in English is at the B1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).

Among the many ways you can demonstrate your proficiency in English are:

1. Completing a Secure English Language Exam (SELT) from a recognised  and approved vendor

2. Attaining a passing grade in either English Language or English Literature in either the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE), the Advanced Level (A-Level), or the Scottish National Qualification (SQ) at levels 4 or 5. If you started school in the UK before you turned 18, you also need to have completed the SQ at either level to qualify.

3. Holding a degree that was taught in English and verified by ECCTIS (previously called UK NARIC)

4. Holding citizenship from a majority English speaking country

Q. How Long Does It Take To Get Your Visa Extension Approval?

Usually, applications are processed in approximately 15 working days after an applicant has submitted an online application or attended their appointment (if required).

Q. Can You Switch from a Different Visa to the Health and Care Worker Visa?

You may be eligible to apply to switch from your current visa to a Health and Care worker visa, providing that it is not a listed visa that means that you are unable to switch inside the UK(e.g. visitor visa, those on immigration bail etc).

Q. Can You Take On Additional Work on a Health and Care Worker Visa?

As long as you continue performing the sponsored position’s duties, you can take on additional paid work while on a Health and Care worker visa. If your second role does not fall under the Health and Care worker visa and on the shortage occupation list you can work up to 20 hours without having to update your visa. If your second role is not eligible for a Health and Care visa; is not on the shortage occupation list and you work for more than 20 hours per week, you will need to update your visa with a new Certificate of Sponsorship from that particular sponsor.

If for example, you are a nurse and have a second job working as a carer worker for 40 hours per week, you will not need to update your visa, as this role is both a shortage occupation and an eligible role under the Health and Care worker route.

Q. How Long Is the Visa for a Health and Care Worker Valid For?

This depends on the length of your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) up to a maximum of five years. 

Suppose you are still working as a health or care professional in the UK after the first visa period ends and meet the other requirements. In that case, you may be able to apply for an extension.

Q. If I Have a Health and Care Worker Visa, May I Work for Any Company?

The Health and Care worker visa only allows individuals to work for the sponsor that sponsored them. If you would like to change sponsors you need to apply to change your sponsor by applying for a new Health and Care worker visa with a Certificate of Sponsorship issued by your new sponsor.

Q. Can Someone outside the UK Apply for a Health and Care Worker Visa?

Anyone that is sponsored by an approved sponsor to undertake a role in the Health and Care sector,  can apply either outside the UK.

Ready To Get Assistance?

We have over 17 years of experience in providing exceptional legal services to both corporate and private clients.
Scroll to Top
Tab 1
Tab 2
Tab 3